Saturday, July 4, 2009

CPSIA

If you make children's items, you should be aware of CPSIA. For those that don't, it is the "Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act". It is requiring testing and labeling for all products intended for children under 12. Some things are exempt from testing, but most need to be tested for lead, phthalates, and/or small parts. If you donate handmade items, this affects you as well.
For me, this is what I love to do. But the rules and laws are so confusing that even the lawmakers themselves aren't exactly sure what they are. Then how in the world do they expect ME to be able to understand all of it. I understand that I need to test my items. However, testing needs to be done on each new item. Well, most of my creations are OOAK, so that would require testing on each individual item! If I have to do that, I will have to raise prices to cover those testing costs. It could cost over $300 just to test a headband for phthalates! Talk about an expensive accessory.
I am left to choose between two options: Do nothing or Do nothing...
Let me explain. I can either
A) Do nothing. I can continue to do what I'm doing and charge what I'm charging, doing nothing to follow this absurdity of a law.
OR
B) Do nothing. I can stop making any children's items. Nothing to be donated to those who need it most. Nothing to sell to help my family.
Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place! I know they are trying to protect our children, but give parents some credit! We can make appropriate choice for our kids without being forced to!

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I too am on the 'do nothing or do nothing' fence with my doll clothes. They are currently not listed while I decide what and how to handle the situation. And the more I research, the more confusing it all becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm kinda leaning towards "do nothing!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only problem with doing nothing is the labeling requirements coming in August. First it was testing and now this. How do you comply with the labeling?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela, Labeling is yet another issue. I will have to determine how to add labels to things like hats, but with the headbands, it's not really feasible on most of them to have a permanent label on them. Some have suggested a tag with the listing number and contact info, then keeping all the listing info. If the customer were to come back, you would be able to give them info based on the listing number.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Swidget 1.0